Sometimes you can't avoid this high calorie delicious brunch dish. I was recently at a brunch and they served this tasty dish. I usually will have self control, but that morning the buttery Hollandaise sauce was begging for me to eat it.
I felt guilty later that day so I decided to find a recipe that would lighten it up to make it a staple in our house. With a few change of ingredients I was able to knock out that WHOLE stick of butter and replace it entirely with Greek Yogurt! And instead of using a whole thick slice of Canadian Bacon I use a thin slice of prosciutto, again lightening it up!
I promise you, you will enjoy this meal just as much as the fattening one. Actually you may enjoy it more because you can have it knowing that you're staying on your diet AND you can have two helpings! Win win!
Don't get scared off by the extensive recipe, I just broke it down in lots of simple steps so anyone can make it with ease!
Lightened Up Egg's Benedict
This recipe will serve approximately 4 servings
(one serving = 1/2 an english muffin)
4 Fresh eggs
2 English muffins
4 Slices of prosciutto
1 Cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
6 Egg Yokes
2 Tsp lemon juice
2 Tsp mustard
Dash of Salt/Pepper
2 Tsp Minced Parsley
How To Make:
1. In a double broiler (or a pot of water with a glass bowl set on top) bring water to a simmer.
2. Whisk in the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and egg whites.
3. Let it cook for about 10 - 15 minutes making sure it doesn't get too hard or the egg will start to crust around the edges. Stirring every few minutes - it will get thin then thicken right up
4. Once the time is up and it has thickened whisk in mustard, half the parsley, salt/pepper.
5. Take off of double broiler and set aside - stirring it occasionally until ready to serve
Muffin & Prosciutto:
1. I like to cook mine in a cast iron skillet, but you can pop the english muffin in the toaster oven. Lightly toast it - nothing is worse than and English muffin you can't cut in to.
2. If not cooking the prosciutto on the stove, you can pop it on a piece of paper towel and microwave it for 15-20 seconds
1. Bring a pot of water to almost a boil. Where there are tiny bubbles at the bottom. If you have a thermometer then bring it to 190º
2. Crack eggs into a bowl two at a time.
3. Getting the bowl as close to the water as possible, carefully slide them into the pot of water one at a time.
4. Once all eggs are in the pot, cover it, turn off the heat.
5. Let it sit for 3:30-4 minutes. Once the egg white has set and is not longer translucent - use a slotted spoon and spoon out onto the English muffin and prosciutto.
6. Top with sauce and remaining parsley!
21 Day Fix
1 Egg/ Half and English Muffin
1.5 R (1 egg, 1 egg white, 1 slice prosciutto, 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt)