Cheese....mmmm cheese! Okay let me confess that I love cheese...oh and bread! So what's better than to have yummy steak covered in melted cheese surrounded by soft bread....oh and veggies? NOTHING!
Unfortunately the steak & cheese you get at a restaurant can be very pricey in the way of calories and fat. Well not this version! As you may or may not know, I am doing Weight Watchers so I had to find a way to cut some calories and fat out but still make it delicious and PointPlus+ friendly.
This meal makes four 8" subs!
Oh and here's the good part .... you can feed 4 people for UNDER $10!!
8" Sub Roll
1 lb. Minute Steak - tear into strips
1 White Onion
1/2 a Green Pepper
2 Cups Shredded Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese
2 tbs Olive Oil
Low Fat Mayo (optional)
3 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
2 Garlic Cloves
Salt/Pepper to taste
How To Cook
This is optional but it gives the steak a nice little kick!
Place steak in a large ziplock bag and add the Worcestershire sauce and Balsamic vinager. Then mince up garlic and add. Close bag and make sure all the steak is covered. Place in the fridge for minimum 1 hour and up to over night.
1. Dice up green pepper into small pieces and cut onion into long strips
2. On medium heat add olive oil to the sauté pan along with onions and peppers. Cook until tender (approx. 10 minutes)
3. Cut open the sub roll and scoop out all the interior bread. This will not only eliminate some calories but it will also give you plenty of room to add all the yumminess without the bread ripping.
4. Once onions and peppers are cooked - place them in a bowl. Turn heat up to high and add steak. It will cook in about a minute (hence the name).
5. Preheat oven to 350.
6. Spread mayo on to roll (if wanted) and add enough cheese to lightly cover the bottom of the roll.
7. After steak is cooked add the veggies in the sub roll followed by the steak and topped with another layer of cheese
8. Cover the steak & cheese with the foil and put in oven. Let it cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Yummy steak and cheese!
WW Points +: 8