When you pack your diaper bag for the first outing I am willing to bet that you soon realized you over packed. Or perhaps you have an empty diaper bag just sitting there and you are unsure what to pack! Here are 10 diaper bag staples that should always be in your bag.
1. Coach Diaper Bag ($150): I know this is the diaper bag but I thought it was imperative to show a diaper bag since we are talking about them. This is a Coach diaper bag. Before you skip this, I must tell you I DID NOT pay full retail price of $598! I got it at the outlet store for $150. I know it is expensive, but since it is leather it will last, and once I no longer need it as a diaper bag I can use it as an over sized purse. So to me it was worth it. Oh and it is a bag my husband is not embarrassed to carry!
2. Diaper Genie On-The-Go ($5.98) : This little thing is great! It has a roll of bags inside and clips to your diaper bag. Don't you hate when you are changing your baby in the middle of nowhere (meaning not near a trash can)? No one wants to shove a dirty diaper back in your diaper bag, so now you can place them in these scented bags! Very handy!
3. Water Bottle (CamelBak $15.98): You should always have a water bottle on you. It is good, especially when breastfeeding, to stay hydrated. It is also good if you are formula feeding to have water to mix the formula with. I like the CamelBak because there is no screw lid, you can open it with one hand.
4. Cliff Bar ($0.99): Along with water, you should always have a few snacks with you. I would suggest something with a little lasting power like Cliff Bars. They are packed with filling ingredients that will keep you full while on the go.
5. Travel Baby Wipes: Obviously you must have baby wipes in your diaper bag, but it is great to have them in a refillable container. I do not like the travel wipes you can buy then you dispose of the package when you're done. I love my Huggies refillable containers. They are thin and hold a lot! Plus they shut tights so all the wipes stay wet.
6. Nursing Cover ($25-30): I bring my nursing cover everywhere with me. I love it because it covers my baby and me up but it is also great because my baby gets distracted when nursing in public, so it keeps him on task. I got my from UdderCovers.com, and it is of great quality! Check out my review HERE. And if you don't mind being exposed, then it can serve as a blanket as well!
7. Nursing Pads: I always have disposable nursing pads with me in my bag. You never know when you'll need them, and they are small enough where they won't take up any room.
8. Aden and Anais Swaddle ($35-40 pk of 4): These muslin swaddles are AMAZING! They are so soft, light weight, and very large. You can swaddle with them, use them as a burp cloth, nursing cover, or as a blanket. The more you wash them the softer they get. They are worth every cent!
9. Diapers: It doesn't matter what kind you use, but I would suggest having enough for 2 for each hour you are gone. So if you will be gone 3 hours, have 6 diapers. That way you won't run short!
10. Change of clothes: I always pack a onesie and shorts for my little boy. So if they pee, poop, spit-up, or get wet you will have something to change them into. I would also suggest an extra shirt for yourself as well.